Besides taking care of any necessary emergency repairs, scheduling regular preventative maintenance is the best way to keep your used car in great shape.
What can preventative auto maintenance do for your driving experience? First, it can ensure that your pre-owned vehicle is always in top condition. That, in turn, will keep you, your family, and your friends safe. Finally, it can save you both tons of money and repeated trips to the repair shop.
Our team at Fred Beans Used wrote this helpful guide to preventative maintenance for a used car. We hope that you find it helpful. If you have any further questions, or if you need to set up an appointment, don’t hesitate to contact us.
Most Importantly: Check the Manufacturer’s Maintenance Schedule
The first step to carrying out preventative maintenance on your car, truck, minivan, crossover, SUV, or other model is to consult the owner’s manual.
Here, you’ll find a helpful maintenance schedule that’ll tell you exactly when to bring it to a professional for work.
However, the most important thing to remember is that your used car has already been around the block a few times, i.e. it probably has a few years and a few thousand miles under its belt.
Don’t forget this! It’s key to count years and miles from when the automobile first hit the road, not from when you started to drive it.
Crucial Types of Preventative Automotive Maintenance
Here’s a brief overview of some of the most crucial types of preventative used-car maintenance, including procedures that address everything from engine and exhaust to steering and suspension, cooling and heating to brakes and electrical, and much more.
- Checking and replacing your spark plugs. You should change most copper spark plugs every 30,000 miles, but some iridium ones can last almost 100,000 miles.
- Rotating, balancing, and aligning your tires. This will increase the longevity of your tires, which is invaluable, because those can be expensive to replace!
- Replacing the engine air filter. Your owner’s manual ought to tell you how often to do this. It’s especially pressing for used cars since the previous owner might not have taken care of this step.
- Replacing the cabin air filter. The same goes for your cabin air filter. Replace this at the appropriate time will directly impact your driving experience, making for a cleaner and more comfortable ride every time.
- Last, but not least: battery, oil, fluids, and serpentine belts. We can’t stress just how significant it is to attend to these—it could save the lives of you and your passengers!
Schedule an Appointment at the Fred Beans Used Service Center
If your car is due for preventative maintenance, our team of expert automotive technicians at the Fred Beans Used Service Center can help.
We can take care of any replacements, repairs, tune-ups, check-ups, or anything else.
Simply contact us today to schedule a preventative maintenance appointment—call us, fill out a form online, or stop by our service center and we’ll be happy to help.